Thursday, September 22, 2011

Have you seen the little fishies....?

I can't take credit for this design. I was perusing the 2012 Wilton Yearbook (which, by the way, is an awesome source of inspiration) and found these adorable fishbowl cookies.

I had free rein to make some cookies for a wee child's special day, so I whipped up a batch of one of my favorite sugar cookie recipes (more on those later) and decided to try my hand at these.

  
The fishbowl is just a large sized round cutter, with about 1/2 inch cut off the top of the cookie to simulate the flat top of the bowl. I piped the blue for the water around the cookie, and flooded it. I used just a little of Americolor electric blue.

The round fishies are just small round cookies piped with a number 1 tip, and flooded. After drying they are attached to the larger cookie, and the tail, fins and mouth are added. I also added a royal icing eye that I purchased because I absolutely suck at making eyes! lol


Air bubbles are just dots, topped by a little heart. I used multi colored confetti hearts for the gravel on the first few (just brush some corn syrup or piping gel on, and pour the hearts on), but decided to go with blue and yellow sanding sugar for the remainder. The white band at the top is a thin rope of fondant (I primarily use Satin Ice, although I've been known to use Duff's on occasion), again attached with piping gel or corn syrup.

Oh, and the cat? It was a new cutter that I'd been anxious to use, so I threw him into the photo for the heck of it. Too bad I forgot to draw on his drooling tongue!!

I know this is a big cookie with alot of sugary goodness, but I understand the wee one adored them!!

Love and sweetness,

Laurie

2 comments:

  1. These are adorable! Absolutely love all the detail you have added in the fish bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words. Coming from someone with your skills, I'm honored! :-)

    ReplyDelete